Senatus consultum ultimum on the amended oath to be taken by magistrates and officials of Nova Roma
SENATUS CONSULTUM ULTIMUM ON THE AMENDED OATH TO BE TAKEN BY MAGISTRATES AND OFFICIALS OF NOVA ROMA
I. This Senatus consultum ultimum is issued by the Senate under the authority granted to it under section V.E of the Constitution of Nova Roma.
II. The Lex Iunia de iusiurando, as amended by the Lex Cassia de iusiurando, is overridden.
III. The oath, in the form at section V below shall be taken by all magistrates, and all officials of Nova Roma, whether elected or appointed, in all Nova Roman institutions, including Senate and priestly appointments, prior to assuming the office elected or appointed to.
IV. The oath must be taken exactly in the form at section V below and posted in the manner prescribed at section VI below. Failure to take the oath, or failing to do so in exactly the form and/or manner prescribed, shall result the office being considered vacant until the oath is taken and/or taken correctly. The person failing to take the oath, or failing to do so in the form and/or manner prescribed shall not assume that office, nor execute any function or power associated with that office until the oath is taken, and/or taken correctly.
V. FORM OF THE OATH FOR MAGISTRATES AND OFFICIALS OF NOVA ROMA
- "I, [enter the citizen's full official Nova Roman name and citizen number here] do hereby solemnly swear to uphold the honor of Nova Roma, and to act always in the best interests of the people and the Senate of Nova Roma.
- I, swear to uphold and defend the Religio Romana as the State Religion of Nova Roma and swear never to act in a way that would threaten its status as the State Religion.
- I further swear to accept the authority of the Senate, magistrates, officials (whether appointed or elected), the current Nova Roman Constitution, all Senatus consulta ultima, leges, Senatus consulta, decreta and edicta that are in force.
- I further swear to fulfill the obligations and responsibilities of the office of [enter the title of the office here] to the best of my abilities.
As a magistrate or official of Nova Roma, I swear to honor the Gods and Goddesses of Rome in my public dealings, and to pursue the Roman Virtues in my public and private life, where such virtues do not conflict with the current Nova Roman Constitution, all Senatus consulta ultima, leges, Senatus consulta, decreta and edicta that are in force, as such enactments shall have supremacy over any personal interpretations, definitions or beliefs I may have as to what defines Roman virtues.
- I further swear that I am not a member or supporter of any Competing Organization as listed at http://novaroma.org/nr/Competing_Organizations, and that I have viewed this link and that I am aware of which organizations are deemed Competing Organizations therein.
- I further swear that I will refrain from joining or supporting any other Competing Organizations listed at the above link, or any other future Competing Organizations.
- I further swear that at the time of swearing and/or the time of sending this, I did not engage in any religious rite, or religiously recognized or personal practice, or possess, hold, or otherwise rely on any device or method, that would invalidate this oath.
On my honor as a Citizen of Nova Roma, and in the presence of the Gods and Goddesses of the Roman people and by their will and favor, do I accept the position of [enter the title of the office here] and all the rights, privileges, obligations, and responsibilities attendant thereto.
Signed [enter the citizen's full official Nova Roman name and citizen number here]"
VI. POSTING OF THE OATH
a. The oath shall be posted on the Main List which shall be the primary list for posting the oath, or the primary list shall be any successor list to the Main List declared as such by the Senate in Formal Session, or any other list indicated by the Princeps senatus in times when the Main List is for any reason not available, or not suitable for posting on, and where there is insufficient time for the Senate to be called into Formal Session to designate an alternative or successor list before the magistrate(s) or official(s) have to take office, either by reason of a date for doing so, or for reasons of urgent need to fill such an office.
b. The secondary list in cases of priestly appointments that the oath shall also be posted on, immediately after the posting on the primary list, shall be the Collegium Pontificum list, or if that is not available to the person taking the oath then the oath shall be emailed to the Pontifex maximus to post to the Collegium Pontificum list for record purposes.
c. The secondary list in cases of senatorial appointments that the oath shall also be posted on, immediately after the posting on the primary list, shall be the Senate list, or if that is not available to the person taking the oath then the oath shall be emailed to to the Princeps senatus to post to the Senate list for record purposes.
VII. Upon enactment of this Senatus consultum ultimum A. The only lawful method of subsequently superseding, amending or repealing this Senatus consultum ultimum must be by way of a Senatus consultum ultimum, that must achieve an extraordinary majority before it can be enacted. Any other method or attempt shall be illegal and forbidden. The Princeps senatus may at his/her discretion replace the requirement above for an extraordinary majority with a requirement for a special majority, or a simple majority. B. No other Senatus consultum ultimum shall be enacted where the proposed content of which conflicts, negates, overrides, limits or otherwise affects in a negative manner the contents and/or purposes of all or any part of this Senatus consultum ultimum, whether directly or indirectly other than by the method at specified at section VII.A of this Senatus consultum ultimum. VIII. This Senatus consultum ultimum shall terminate on the 31st December 2022, unless it shall be terminated earlier under the process described at section VII.A of this Senatus consultum ultimum.