Lex Cornelia de censu (Nova Roma)
This lex is currently IN FORCE.
Pursuant to the Constitution of Nova Roma (II.A. 4 and IV.A.1.b) the following law is hereby enacted to determine the accurate numbers of citizens who make up Nova Roma.
- I. A Census of all citizens of Nova Roma should be done every 2 years. This would be the responsibility of the Censors.
- II. The Nova Roma Census will last for a period of 8 weeks, and must be completed by the Ides of September. The start and end of the census period will be announced by the Censors on the NR website, official lists, and in the major forums. The official lists are currently located at email@example.com and NovaRoma-Announce@y...
Notification must also be published on the Nova Roma Message board.
- III. The Census will consist of the following:
- A. Active citizens are those citizens that do not need to be contacted by the Censors to determine if they are apart of Nova Roma:
1. Those citizens who voted in the main election (in December) shall be considered "censi." 2. Those citizens who have paid taxes for the current calendar year shall be considered "censi". 3. Paterfamiliae who have successfully responded to the yearly registration of the Lex Cornelia de Tabulis Gentium Novaromanarum Agendis shall be considered “censi”. 4. Persons who became citizens during the current calendar year shall be considered "censi".
- IV. Inactive citizens are those citizens who fail to meet at least one of the conditions in IV ::A. The following will lay down some of the procedures to contact inactive citizens. Inactive citizens are those citizens who will need to be contacted by the National Census. The following methods will be used to contact inactive citizens:
- 1. Bulk Email. At least two attempts should be done to contact citizen via this avenue.
- 2. Individual email. If a Citizen email bounces back as invalid from the bulk email, the Censors shall send them an individual email to verify there was not a problem with an email service filter.
- 3. Phone calls. If a Citizen is unreachable due to an invalid email address, the Censors shall attempt to contact them by phone. This may be done on the Provincial level under the direction of the Censors if possible.
- 4. Surface mail. "Inactive" Citizens who are unreachable by email or phone shall receive a mailing from the Censors. This may also be done on the Provincial level if possible. Surface mail information should be forwarded to whatever official NR address is specified by the Censors. Surface mail information must reach the Censors before the Ides of September.
The Current Official address of all Nova Roman Mail correspondence is:
Nova Roma P.O. Box 1897 Wells, ME 04090
At the time of the passage of this lex, the above address is the official address, if the official address changes in the future; the new address should be utilized.
- 5. A temporary banner and link will be put on the main NR website for the duration of the Census, where individual citizens may input their information to comply with the Census.
- V. All communicated information pertaining to the Census shall be noted in a database on the Nova Roma Website, the address of which will be specified by the Censores at the beginning of the Registration Period. Citizen information may be inputted into this database by the Censores, their appointed assistants, or by the individual citizens.
- VI. By the Ides of August, the Censors should post a list to the official email list of Nova Roma displaying the names of those citizens who have failed to respond.
- VII. If a citizen fails to respond to the contact attempts, that person will no longer be considered a citizen of Nova Roma. His name will be stricken from the Album Civium and if he/she is a Pater/Mater, the Censors will abide by the Constitution, any laws, and any Censorial edict if the appointment of a paterfamilias is necessary. However, the Censors have the discretion to waive this clause if both Censors feel there are legitimate reasons for the citizen to remain incommunicado.
- VIII. If a citizen who knows of an extended period of unavailability that will coincide with the census, he may contact the censors up to 3 months before the census is to begin to inform them of his active status and his desire to be counted in the census. Such contact will be considered by the censors as having fulfilled the citizen's duty to reply during the census period. Proxies are not permitted during the National Census effort.
- IX. A former citizen may appeal to the Senate to have his removal from the Album Civium reconsidered. Such an appeal must be filed with the consuls within 90 days of the former citizens removal from the Album Civium. A 2/3rds vote of the Senate is needed to overturn the decision of the censors.
- X. A budget is to be provided for the Censors' Office to offset costs for conducting the census. This budget is to be included only for the years that a Census takes place. The amount to be set aside would be established by the Senate of Nova Roma.
- XI. The First Census will take place during the Consulship of Marcus Octavius Germanicus and Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix (2755 AUC)