Lex Octavia de senatoribus (Nova Roma)
This lex has been REPEALED.
I. Membership in the Senate of Nova Roma shall be for life, so long as a Senator maintains a minimum level of activity, as defined herein.
II. Level of Activity Required.
- A. A Senator is required to cast votes in at least one third of the sessions of the Senate during any calendar year. Should he or she fail to do so, he or she may be removed at the option of the Censores.
- B. Voting by proxy shall be considered acceptable for satisfying these requirements if and only if the right of proxy is granted during the discussion period of the session for which proxy is granted.
III. Removal of a Senator.
- A. The Censores are empowered to use their judgment when considering the removal of a Senator who has failed to maintain the minimum level of activity, and either to retain or remove that Senator at their option. The Censores should consider whether a valid excuse for failing to remain active has been offered.
- B. The Senator to be removed has sixty days to appeal his or her removal to any magistrate capable of convening the Senate. A two-thirds supermajority of the Senate, excluding the Censores, is required to override the Censores and halt the removal.
- C. An ex-Senator who has been removed may be later restored to the Senate by the Censores.
- A. Censores, Consuls, and Praetores are exempt during their year in office, regardless of their participation level the previous year. Any Senator appointed less than six months before the end of the preceding year is exempt.
- B. In recognition of their service to the Republic, any Senator who has completed a full term as Consul or Censor may be removed from the Senate if and only if he or she fails the test described in Section II for four consecutive years.
- C. Any Senator who has served in the Senate for ten years is forever after exempt from removal for reason of inactivity.
V. This law shall go into effect on the Kalends of January MMDCCLVI
Passed by Comitia Populi Tributa yes: 30; No: 4