People from across the world have for decades come together to reenact historical military and civilian life at various periods in time. A large number of these are dedicated to the Roman era. As part of our efforts to bring ancient Rome back to life, Nova Roma sponsors the activities of various legions across the world. The level of historical detail required varies from legion to legion, and some engage in mock combat while others display their prowess at period drill and camp life. Several groups of Roman military reenactors have been approved by senatus consultum. Some of these legionary units, like the Legio XXI Rapax, have been established as our own representative and ceremonial Roman army: join us - we want you!
The Sodalitas Militarium of Nova Roma is devoted to the study of Roman martial art, as well as cataloging, modeling and re-enacting the great military forces that were Rome's. More information can be found on the Sodalitas Militarium page.
Nova Roma has, from its beginning, sponsored reenactment units throughout the world. Benefits include citizenship, a listing on this page, and web server space. For more information, or to apply, please see the Legio Sponsorship Application Form. Legions we currently sponsor can be found at Legiones.
To apply for sponsorship, please see the Legio Sponsorship Application Form.
The shield of the officers of the Nova Roman Legio XXI Rapax.
The Legio XXI Rapax marches with the Legio X Gemina during the Floralia.
Muster of the Rapax before the commemoration of the 1920th anniversary of the fall of the legion.
The new shields of the Legio XXI Rapax: the scutum of 2014.
Expeditionary mission of the Legio XXI Rapax to Regio Marcomannia, the fortress of Fülek (Slovakia). Soldiers wearing the three main types of armor: 'lorica squamata' at left, 'lorica segmentata' in the middle, and 'lorica hamata' at right.
The Roman 'lorica segmentata' seen from all aspects on the soldiers of the Rapax. The great M. Metellus M. f. Cyprianus, son of the tribunus M. Metellus, leads the line.
- VII Praetorian Cohort (Perth, Australia)
- Legio VIIII HSPA (Sydney/Blue Mountains, Australia)
- Living History Forum (Melbourne, Australia)
- Legio II Augusta (Portsmouth, United Kingdom)
- Legio VIII Augusta MGV (United Kingdom)
- Quinta/Cohors Quinta Gallorum (Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom)
- Red Shanks (United Kingdom)
- Legio II Traiana Fortis (Las Vegas, NV)
- Legio III Cyrenaica (New England, USA)
- Legio III Gallica (New Orleans, LA)
- Legio XXIV Media Atlantia (Eastern PA & NJ, DE)
- Legio XX (College Park, MD)
- Legio VI Novae Romae (Albany NY)
Legio XIII Gemina - Houston, Texas - Approved in 2013