Ludi Herculanenses 2761 AUC (Nova Roma)
Herculanenses, the Conventus 2761 games
The Ludi Herculanenses is the fourth set of games in the tenth anniversary year series of games, designated as Ludi Decennales. The Herculanenses will be celebrated in the eve of August 2761 a.u.c., from 1st to 5th. (2008 cc.).
Whereever you are from Kalends to Nones of August, in Dacia or anywhere else, take part in the Herculanenses and enjoy the Ludi, in the spirit of the ancient Romans!
- These days are special : first as a part of the Decennalia, our Ludi Decennales which are to celebrate our tenth birthday ; second in the fact that they are the only one which are, among the Ludi Decennales, not linked to a specific festival day, as the Lupercalia or Matuta days are.
These Ludi will celebrate the annual Nova Roma conventus in Europe. This year, the conventus is hosted by Provincia Dacia, in current Rumania.
According Gov. Daciae T. Iulius Sabinus' proposal, these Ludi, which were not to honor, in the frame of Nova Roma public calendar, a special god or goddess, have been dedicated to Hercules, half a god, half an human, whose personality is good auspices for this conventus particular time. Hercules has seemed to us quite obvious when Gov. Iulius informed us that the major stay, for all Conventus's attendants, would be the ancient Thermae Herculi.
- More on Hercules :
Our ludi golden rule: one day, one god, one ludus
This golden rule will meet one of its exceptions here.
First because the 2nd of August (ante diem IV Nonas Sextilis )is a day "ater", like all second day of the month. No ludus will thus be celebrated this day.
The first day of Ludi Herculanenses is the Kalends, which will be consacrated both to Ianus, who is to be honored in every opening of a month or a year, but also to Hercules and Diane. Hercules will protect the competitors in Thermae Herculi and Diane, thanks to her relations with the moon and the old lunar calendar, will remind everyone that this month of Sextilis 2761 auc will be at the same time a new civil month and a new lunar month : the new moon appears on this Aug, 1st.
Beyond the ater 2nd day, the 3rd August will be dedicated to Apollo, and specially its local form well known in ancient celt countries, Apollo Borvo (or Borbo). This deity would specially watch on the fresh water and healthy sources.
Mercurius' sun chariot is important in this time of the year when the sun is high and warm. He is also the god of trade and journeys. He thus will watch on every Nova Roman who is to travel, and specially on the ones who would have attended the Conventus Daciae, which ends on this 4th August (pridie Nonas sextilis).
The last day of these Ludi Herculanenses will be dedicated to Hercules, alone, just to remind us that the experience of the highest dignities must not let us forget our human nature, that Hercules had to live through its twelve works.
Herculanenses schedule: 4 days (Aug. 1, 3-4-5)
nb : the particularity of these Ludi is to be played at the same time in internet and physically, in Dacia, during the 6th Conventus Novae Romae. The time given here is Rome time, so one hour before Dacia local time.
- Certamen Ovidianum: the questions are displayed on line around 9:00 pm Rome time.
The players on internet will have two days, till Aug. 1st, 9:00 pm Rome time deadline, to send their answer on the questions to
G. Marcius Crispus at:
The deadline passed with no entries for this competition. The answers are as follows:-
1 On what date was Ovid born ?
1 March 20, 43 BC
2 On which precise night did Ovid leave Rome ?
2 Nov. 15, 8 AD
3 Why was Ovid confident that he would have the protection of a god/goddess during his journey through the Aegean sea ?
3 Because Minerva's helmet was painted on his ship's prow.
4 What etymological explanation does Ovid give for the word « Tomis »
4 Medea, to delay her father trying to join her, fleeing with her lover Jason, killed her own brother Absyrt :Ovid says "it was here the sister cut up her brother's body".
5 In his « Tristia », Ovid writes to a poetess. What was her name ?
6 What was the relation of this poetess with Ovid ?
6 His stepdaughter, the daughter of his third wife
7 What is the current population of Ovid's birth place (to the nearest 1,000.) ?
8 Ovid tells us about three other writers, saying « I was the fourth, after them, in order of time. » Who were the three others, in the chronological order reported by Ovid ?
8 Gallus, Tibullus, Propercius
9 How old was Ovid's brother when he died ?
10 What is the name of the book that Ovid writes, after the Tristia, in Tomis ?
10 Pontics (ex Ponto)
11 Ovid asks a Fabius to speak for him. What was his cognomen ?
12 In which year did Ovid die ?
12 17 AD
13 Ovid is supposed to be buried on a small island in a Romanian city. What is the name of this city ?
13 Ovidiu, ancient Canara
The online contest is now closed.
We shall return with more certamens later in the year.
- Honored Diety: HERCULES-DIANA-IANUS
- Opening Ceremony in Dacia, Thermae Herculi : 07:00-07:30 under the auspices of Leg. pp. and Cos. T. Iulius Sabinus, Cos. M. Moravius Piscinus and Aed. cur. P. Memmius Albucius.
- 16:00 - 18:00 : only live in Dacia : A Certamen inter-provincialis will be organized, whose detail will depend on the number and the provinces of the attendants of the Conventus. The disciplinae will be : harpastum/pedifollis (football), athletica, natatio.
- 18:30 : Certamen Ovidianum: the questions are displayed in Dacia before the Roman dinner.
- 21:00 : Deadline online for Certamen Ovidianum answers to the questions displayed two days ago, on July 30th.
- 22:00 : Certamen Ovidianum: in Dacia, the answers are given and the results proclaimed after the Roman dinner.
- Dies Ater - No events scheduled; These are "dark" days in which fire should not be lit and sacrifices should not be offered in altars. Temples should not celebrate public worship. All religious ceremonies are private but without sacrifices. Making journeys, starting new projects, or doing anything risky should be avoided, and certain gods, including Iuppiter and Ianus, may not be named.
- Honored Diety: APOLLO BORVO
- Munera Gladiatoria ~ Quarters
- Honored Diety: MERCURIUS
- Munera Gladiatoria ~ Semi-Finals
- Honored Diety: HERCULES
- Munera Gladiatoria ~ Finals
- Closing Ceremony
- Return to Aedilitas curulis MMDCCLXI