Provincia America Austrorientalis - History (Nova Roma)/Scroll II
SCROLL II ~ The Annals of Lucius Sinicius Drusus
compiled by L. Vitellius Triarius from provincial and other sources within the Res publica
Lucius Sicinius Drusus was confirmed by the Senate as the second Propraetor America Austrorientalis on a.d. XIV Kal. Sex. ‡ Fl. Vedio (II) M. Cassio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLIV a.u.c. | (19 Jul 2001 CE) and served until a.d. V Non. Mar. ‡ K. Fabio T. Labieno cos. ‡ MMDCCLVI a.u.c. | (3 Mar 2003 CE).
L. Sicinius Drusus became a Roman citizen a.d. V Kal. Ian. ‡ Q. Maximo M. Minucio cos. ‡ MMDCCLIII a.u.c. | (28 Dec 2000 CE). A proponent of close adherence to Roman practice (though he was sometimes criticized as applying this principle inconsistently in practice), he became a significant public figure and a prominent member of the group which called itself the boni. Though he never secured election to any magistracy, he was influential among his political allies and drafted a number of legislative proposals, and became a senator M. Octavio L. Sulla (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLV a.u.c. | (2002 CE).
Early in the year Cn. Salvio Cn. Equitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLVII a.u.c. | (2004 CE) he was the subject of a nota issued by censores K. Fabius Quintilianus and M. Octavius Germanicus. This nota was subsequently withdrawn. It later emerged that this was the result of a negotiated deal in which, for his part, L. Sicinius had sworn (among other things) not to attend meetings of the senate for nine months and to "remain civil and courteous" in public fora. He also agreed to suffer expulsion from Nova Roma if he breached the agreement. Later that year he was accused of breaking this agreement, but the consul Cn. Equitius Marinus rejected calls for him to expel L. Sicinius, ruling that the agreement was a contract in private law and could only be enforced by an ordinary action by a party to the contract. The matter was never brought to court, but L. Sicinius has not participated in public life since.
During his tenure in Public Life, L. Sinicius served as a Senator from prid. Non. Dec. ‡M. Octavio L. Sulla (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLV a.u.c. | (4 Dec 2002 CE) to prid. Kal. Ian. ‡Fr. Apulo C. Laenate cos. ‡ MMDCCLVIII a.u.c. | (31 Dec 2005 CE), Propraetor of Provincia America Austrorientalis from Fl. Vedio (II) M. Cassio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLIV a.u.c. | (2001 CE) to K. Fabio T. Labieno cos. ‡ MMDCCLVI a.u.c. | (2003 CE), and Pontifex from Fl. Vedio (II) M. Cassio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLIV a.u.c. | (2001 CE) to C. Buteone Po. Minucia cos. ‡ MMDCCLIX a.u.c. | (2006 CE).
Other posts L. Sinicius held were Lictor Curiatus from Cn. Salvio Cn. Equitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLVII a.u.c. | (2004 CE) to C. Buteone Po. Minucia cos. ‡ MMDCCLIX a.u.c. | (2006 CE), Accensus from M. Octavio L. Sulla (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLV a.u.c. | (2002 CE) to K. Fabio T. Labieno cos. ‡ MMDCCLVI a.u.c. | (2003 CE).
- Upon the establishment of the provincia, it was determined that the dieties for the provincia would be Pater Mars, Diana, and the Capitoline Triad. Lucius Sicinius Drusus issued the following edictum in regards to the Patron Dieties of the Provincia in Fl. Vedio (II) M. Cassio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLIV a.u.c./(2001 CE):
- Whereas, our Provincia has a long and proud history of Military Service, to the United States, and to the Confederacy. Whereas, many of our citizens are members of Legions. Whereas, agriculture is a mainstay of our provincial economy. We shall ask Pater Mars to be our primary patron, for it is Pater Mars, who keeps our fields abundant and protects our Legions.
- Whereas, America Austrorientalis is a land of great natural beauty. Whereas, Her people have a long history of enjoying the gifts of nature. Whereas, our Provincia is home to the Spaceport from which men first left the Earth to go to the Moon. It is proper that we ask Diana, Goddess of the Moon and of Natural places, the divine huntress to watch over us as one of our patron Goddesses.
- Whereas, we are a Nova Roman Province, it is proper for us to pay honor to the Capitoline Triad as our patrons. Iuppiter Optimus Maximus, Ruler of the Gods and men, who watches over our Nation and our province, Iuno, who protects our families, and Minerva, who gives us the wisdom we need in our endeavors.
- Under Sicinius' governorship, Regiones were established and Praefectus Regiones appointed to over see them with the assigned duties of (A) reporting the conditions of the Regio to the Propraetor, (B) settle disputes between Citizens of the Regio, subject to Appeal to the Propraetor, and (C) establishing the boundaries of any Municipia within the Regio.
- The Regio of Florida was to consist of the state of Florida.
- The Regio of Carolina was to consist of the states of North Carolina and South Carolina.
- The Regio of Medius Terra was to consist of the states of Georgia and Alabama.
- The Regio of Magna Flumen was to consist of the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee. Gaius Popillius Laenas was appointed as Praefectus Regio for the Magna Flumen Regio of America Austrorientalis.
- The Concilium Provincia was established to consist of all Legates appointed to Provincial Offices, with the duties of keeping the Propraetor informed of the conditions in the Provincia, and offering their advice to the Propraetor.
- The Legatus Provincia was appointed to be the chief aide to the Propraetor with the duties consisting of serving as Chairman of the Concilium Provincia and serving as acting Governor when the Propraetor was absent from the Provincia.
- The Praefectus Fabrum was appointed to oversee relations with the Legions of the Provincia, with duties being to assist citizens of the Provincia who wished to join a Legion, assisting members of the Legions who wished to become citizens of Nova Roma, and coordinating Legion events and Provincial events. Quintius Vitalis was appointed as the first Praefectus Fabrum for Provincia America Austrorientalis. Later, Marcus Vitellius Ligus was appointed as Praefectus Fabrum for America Austrorientalis.
- The Sacerdos Primus was appointed to oversee the official acts of the Religio for the Provincia with the duties of the office consisting as follows: A. To perform the rites of the Religio on behalf of the Provincia. B. To advise other officials regarding the calendar. C. To assist citizens who wish to perform private rites of the Religio. Helena Galeria Aureliana was appointed as the first Sacerdos Primus of America Austrorientalis.
- Each Legate was given the power to appoint a Scriba to assist him/her.
- Provincial Scribes were also appointed. The Curator Provincia was the chief Scribe of the Provincia with the duties of the office being to maintain the Provincial web site and serve as moderator of the Provincial mailing list. The Official America Austrorientalis Web site was determined to be located at http://www.freehost.nu/members/austrorient/, which is now inactive. The official mail list for America Austrorientalis Provincia was determined to be located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Austrorientalis, and still remains the current mailing list. It was further ordered that all Provincial Edicta and Official Announcements would be made on the Provincial list and the Nova Roma main list. The official repository of all Provincial Edicta and other documents was ordered to be the Tabularium Austrorientalis on the web site.
- The Quinquennalis was appointed to maintain the Album Provincia and to hold a Provincial Census at the discretion of the Propraetor, additionally assisting the Consular Quaestors in the collection of taxes from the Provincia.