Rogatio Iulia de foro et moderatione (Nova Roma)
This rogatio was REJECTED.
A. Topics of discussion
The Nova Roma Forum (herein referred to as "the main list" or "the Forum") is currently located at: Nova-Roma@yahoogroups.com. The main focus of the main list is Nova Roma and ancient Rome. Nevertheless discussion about non-Roman topics are allowed in the Forum except when otherwise stated (see III. F)
B. Language policies
The forum in ancient Rome was a large venue, with many people of different cultures and languages conversing. Official information was in Latin, and in some cases Greek, but people were free to speak informally in the language of their choice. Our constitution mandates freedom of communication provided it is not dangerous or disruptive. On demand, the Praetores can invite or oblige the sender to make a translation in Latin or English for the benefit of the other citizens.
Exception: All official documents published on the list must follow the lex Cornelia de linguis publicis which stipulates, though comitial mandate, that any official government legislation or priestly decrees must be issued in Latin or English where applicable, so they can be translated verbatim into other languages to be more easily understood by the entirety of the populace.
C. Governance of the list
According to the lex Octavia de sermone the Praetors govern the list.
II. Mandatory behaviour in the Novae Roma forum
A. Relevance of the posts
It is not advisable to issue a message lacking benefit or relevance to the rest of the Main List subscribers. A systematic use of such replies is forbidden.
B. Inappropriate behaviours
At all times maintain politeness in the expression of one's opinion and endeavour to respect the rights and opinions of others. Inappropriate behaviour includes:
- use of words, epithets or formulas that are properly offensive or might be considered normally offensive making another person look foolish;
- criticising the sender in her / his character rather than her / his ideas;
- making derogatory, belittling, or subjective statements about the Gods and Goddesses of Rome and her religious institutions or belittling other beliefs and religious institutions (however, quoting from a myth or historical material is allowed).
Further, in the interests of protecting our younger citizens, sexual references, including those to nudity, must be strictly within the context of an historical discussion. Otherwise, they are to be made in private.
In addition, for the same reason, references to heavy drinking, extreme violence, and the like shall also be confined to a strictly educational context, not presented as desirable behaviours. Extensive citation from other authors without permission, or any citation from any sources without attribution. Short quotes need not require permission, but all material must be attributed to its source.
C. Public or private posts
Always contact first the individual concerned privately, explaining the rationale for grievance and asking for clarification. In a second instance contact the Praetores directly if not able to resolve the issue privately.
Due to high levels of spam and past incidents of posts from those who wish to cause disruption (usually named "trolls"), a policy of placing all new list members on Moderated Status is followed in the list. This period of moderation shall last from a minimum of one month and a maximum of two months, variable for each subscriber, according to the Praetors' decision in view of the general frequency of his posts.
Advertisement of unsolicited goods and services (a.k.a. UCE or spam) is not permitted on the main list, unless the advertiser is a member of Nova Roma's marketplace, the Macellum. Macellum merchants are welcome to advertise from time to time in a low-key fashion. Permitted forms of this include a standard email signature (four-line maximum), a one-time announcement of initial affiliation with the Macellum, advertising in response to a post of inquiry made in the forum, or an ad once per quarter advertising your presence in the Macellum.
In the case of a poster whose actions violate the guidelines mentioned in art.II in , the following course of escalation shall be followed:
- a private memo from the Praetors describing the infraction, and a reminder to review the guidelines; a public notification over the mailing list that a memo has been sent to the poster for breaking the Forum rules.
- a second public memo describing the infraction, and a reminder to review the guidelines, if sanction described at point 1 was already applied in the last year.
- placement of the poster on moderated status (posts are still allowed but will be reviewed by the Praetors or their designate before being transmitted to the list), if sanction described at point 2 was already applied in the last year. The length of moderation shall be determined by the number of offences in the past, the severity of the violation, and the intent to violate. No citizen shall be kept in moderated status for more than two months without a firm sentence issued by a legal court as described by the lex Salicia poenalis.
III. Discretionary behaviour in the forum
A. Message trimming
Correct usage of snipping prevents large posts that can quickly fill subscribers' mailboxes. When replying to a thread, snip unnecessary sections of the original post for brevity, and indicate where done so by printing <snipped> or any other understandable mark at the appropriate place.
It is entirely appropriate to disagree publicly with another's stated views or actions, including the actions of Nova Roma's Magistrates, Senate or other appointed officials. Observe the following when expressing disagreement of opposing viewpoints:
- Express respect for the person and their entitlement to an opinion, as well as faith in his or her good intentions;
- Point out the specific areas in which one do not agree;
- Always use a specific criticism instead of a generic one;
- Quote the message number of the post in which one base his account and opinions, or include sufficient context from the post to which one is replying.
The main list is set up so that replies are automatically sent to the entire list. Posts that merely voice agreement with a previous post without expanding on an issue in any way shall be avoided.
D. Personal information
Do not give out any personal information (i.e., address, phone number, etc.) on the list.
Provide the references of the sources when posting a text copied from any other source of information.
As stated, off-topic messages are admitted in the forum until the Praetors declare the thread not admissible or no ore admissible.
In the case of a poster whose actions violate the guidelines mentioned in art.III, the following course of escalation shall be followed at Praetors' discrection.
- A private memo from the Praetors describing the infraction, and a reminder to review the guidelines.
- A second private memo as above, if sanction described at point 1 was already applied in the last year.
- A third public memo as above, if sanction described at point 2 was already applied in the last year.
The Praetores shall decide what, if any, sanctions to apply, according to their own judgement. After coming to an agreement with one another concerning the nature and level of any applicable sanctions, the Praetores shall impose such penalties fairly on all offenders, whatever their political, religious, or other leanings. The length of moderation shall be determined by the number of offences in the past, the severity of the violation, and the intent to violate. No citizen shall be kept in moderated status for more than two months without a firm sentence issued by a legal court as described by the lex Salicia poenalis.