Conventus Novae Romae
The International Grand Convention of Nova Roma is the main international community event of Nova Roma since 2002, also called the Nova Roma Rally. It is primarily intended to be held in Europe, hence the original name Conventus Novae Romae in Europa, but there is no legal limitation on the location, and occasionally it can be organized in other continents, as well. It was meant to be the main annual international meeting of all citizens of Nova Roma, but due to the difficulties of organizing such an ambitious grand convention, it became much less frequent. The Conventus took over the place of the Roman Days of Nova Roma in America which was the original main gathering event of the res publica, but was not yet organized on an international scale. After the founding of the International Grand Conventus of Nova Roma, the Roman Days convention continued as an American only convention of Nova Roma for several more years.
The Conventus ("gathering", "convention" or "conference", the Latin plural is also conventus with a long 'u'), as it is colloquially referred to, is open to all citizens and friends of Nova Roma. It is held usually each time in a different European province. In the early years of Nova Roma, provinces bid to host the Conventus, and the winner was chosen by a committee chaired by one of the aediles curules. The arrangement was set out in the Pactum de Conventu Novae Romae in Europa signed by the participating provinces. Currently the organizer and the location of the Grand International Conventus of Nova Roma is determined by the Senate and organization may be supervised by a Commissio Conventus Praeparandi (Conventus Organizing Committee).
The Conventus is the greatest opportunity for Novi Romani from many parts of the world to meet face to face. The hosts usually provide visits to historical and archaeological sites and museums, reenactment festivals and other entertainments such as Roman meals and games.
- I Conventus
- Tongeren (Gallia) M. Octavio L. Sulla (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLV a.u.c.
- II Conventus
- Bologna (Italia) K. Buteone T. Labieno cos. ‡ MMDCCLVI a.u.c.
- III Conventus
- Segovia (Hispania) Cn. Salvio Cn. Equitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLVII a.u.c.
- IV Conventus
- Rome (Italia) Fr. Apulo C. Laenate cos. ‡ MMDCCLVIII a.u.c. http://italia.novaroma.org/conventus2758/index.htm
- V Conventus
- Hadrian's Wall (Britannia) K. Buteone Po. Minucia cos. ‡ MMDCCLIX a.u.c.
- VI Conventus
- Bucharest and Herculane (Dacia) M. Moravio T. Iulio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXI a.u.c.
- VII Conventus
- Rome (Italia) C. Claudio T. Domitio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXI a.u.c.
- VIII Conventus
- Budapest (Pannonia) C. Cethego Q. Arrio (IV) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXVI a.u.c.
- The senate has not determined the next Conventus yet.