Tribunus plebis (Nova Roma)
Candidates for tribunus plebis must be citizens in good standing, for at least six full months before taking office, of the plebeian order, assidui, and at least 25 years of age by the date of taking office.
Duties and powers of the tribuni plebis
The Constitution of Nova Roma says about the tribuni plebis:
7. Tribuni Plebis (Tribune of the Plebs). Five tribunes of the plebs shall be elected by the comitia plebis tributa to serve a term lasting one year. They must all be of the plebeian order, and shall have the following honors, powers, and obligations:
- a. To pronounce intercessio (intercession; a veto) against the actions of any other magistrate (with the exception of the dictator and the interrex), senatus consulta, magisterial edicta, religious decreta, and leges passed by the comitia when the spirit and / or letter of this Constitution or legally-enacted edicta or decreta, senatus consulta or leges are being violated thereby; once a pronouncement of intercessio has been made, the other Tribunes may, at their discretion, state either their support for or their disagreement with that intercessio.
- 1. Each Tribune may issue only one such declaration of support or disagreement, but may change their declaration from one to the other, should they wish to do so.
- 2. The initial pronouncement of intercessio by a Tribune shall count as that Tribune's declaration of agreement.
- 3. Should the number or the Tribunes who choose to disagree with an intercessio equal or exceed the number of Tribunes who choose to support it, the intercessio shall be revoked.
- a Intercessio may not be imposed against statements of support for or disagreement with a use of intercessio that are issued pursuant to the preceding paragraph.
- b The issuance and function of intercessio shall be defined according to procedures described by legislation passed by Comitia.
- b. To pronounce intercessio (intercession; a veto) against another Tribune using the same mechanism as described in paragraph IV. A. 7. a. above;
- c. To be immune from intercessio pronounced by other magistrates, except as described in paragraphs IV. A. 7 .a. and IV. A. 7. b. above;
- d. To be privy to the debates of the Senate, and keep the citizens informed as to the subjects and results thereof, in such manner and subject to such restrictions as may be defined by law;
- 1 To call the Senate to order;
- 2. To call the comitia plebis tributa to order, except when the Patrician order shall constitute more than ten percent (10%) of the total population, in which case the power shall be altered to calling the comitia populi tributa to order;
- 3. To administer the law;
- 4. To appoint scribae (clerks) to assist with administrative and other tasks, as they shall see fit.
List of Nova Roman tribuni plebis
- Avidius Tullius Callidus, resigned a.d. IV Id. Iun. ‡
- Q. Caecilius Metellus
- M. Antonius Gryllus Graecus, tribunus suffectus (elected a.d. IV Kal. Quin. ‡)
- T. Labienus Fortunatus
- Cn. Moravius Piscinius, resigned Id. Mar. ‡
- Q. Sertorius, tribunus suffectus (elected prid. Id. Apr. ‡)
- Cn. Salvius Astur
- M. Arminius Maior
- Claudius Salix Davianus
- M'. Villius Limitanus
- L. Mauricius Procopius
- Diana Moravia Aventina
- M. Marcius Rex
- L. Pompeius Octavianus
- L. Didius Geminus Sceptius (elected a.d. VII Id. Mar. ‡)
- C. Popillius Laenas (elected a.d. XVI Kal. Quin. ‡)
- Fr. Apulus Caesar
- L. Arminius Faustus
- Julilla Sempronia Magna
- C. Modius Athanasius
- Ti. Galerius Paulinus
Fr. Apulo C. Laenate cos. ‡ MMDCCLVIII a.u.c.
- C. Curius Saturninus
- P. Memmius Albucius
- Domitius Constantinus Fuscus
- M. Hortensia Maior
- M. Bianchius Antonius
- M. Arminius Maior (II)
- M. Moravius Piscinus Horatianus (II)
- Cn. Salvius Astur (II)
- Q. Suetonius Paulinus
- C. Vipsanius Agrippa
- C. Arminius Reccanellus
- M. Curiatius Complutensis
- Q. Servilius Priscus
- M. Pontius Sejanus
- F. Galerius Aurelianus
- C. Vipsanius Agrippa (II)
- F. Galerius Aurelianus (II)
- Ti. Horatius Barbatus
- C. Pompeius Marcellus
- Ap. Galerius Aurelianus
P. Memmio K. Buteone (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXIII a.u.c.
- Maxima Valeria Messallina
- C. Curius Saturninus (II)
- C. Petronius Dexter
- M. Octavius Corvus
- C. Aquillius Rota
- Ti. Galerius Paulinus (II)
- C. Tullius Valerianus Germanicus
- V. Rutilia Enodiaria
- C. Aemilius Crassus
- Q. Servilius Priscus (II)
- V. Aemilia Regilla
- T. Flavius Severus (II)
- A. Liburnius Hadrianus
- Ser. Marius Paullus
- V. Valerius Volusus