Category:Edicta (Nova Roma)
INDEX: Return to the Tabularium.
Ius edicendi, the right to issue edicta (edicts) is enshrined in the Nova Roma constitution, defined as "the executive resolutions of the officers of the corporation" as per I.C. in the Constitutional Basis.
Edicta form part of the hierarchy of legal authority and legislation within Nova Roma. The constitution is the highest legal authority and takes precedence over all other legislation and any edicta. Below senatus consulta ultima, a legally appointed Dictator’s edicta takes precedence. After all other leges, decreta and normal senatus consulta, various magisterial edicta are permitted in order of office precedence as listed in IV.A. of the constitution.
For edicts to take effect, they must be published to the Forum Romanum, the official list in accordance with Lex Vedia de ratione edictorum. They will then be published here for record keeping. Edicts are also subject to ius intercessionis, intercessio (intercession; a veto) by magistrates of higher authority or from a Tribunus Plebis.
Edicta of the Magistratus Extraordinarii
The magistratus extraordinarii are those offices that are by exception, not part of the central elected government of Nova Roma. Offices include Dictator, Promagistratus (Promagistrate), and special commissioners. A typical promagistratus that can issue edicta are governors. Special commissioners include offices such as the praefectus rei publicae administrandae (chief executive officer) and the curator rei informaticae (chief information officer).
Due to the importance of these offices, and in some cases an absence of term limits, the edicta of the magistratus extraordinarii can be enduring. The edicta of these magistrates can last multiple years, remaining valid, so long as the issuing incumbent remains in the authorized office. Governors' edicta remain valid for the duration of their appointment, in accordance with the Lex Arminia de ministris provincialibus.
As per IV.B.1 of the constitution, a dictator's "...edicta, or the parts of an edictum that are not in conflict with a lex, the day-to-day management, operational actions and decisions implemented by the dictator for Nova Roma that do not create new law conflicting with laws of higher legal precedence, will not become reversed or annulled automatically after the tenure of the dictatura, only the changes to the legal system of Nova Roma which would be in conflict with existing leges, Senatus consulta or decreta".
- The edicta of the magistratus extraordinarii are listed by office below:
|Title||Description||Date Enacted||Status||Ongoing Legislative Effects||General Praetores Commentary|
|Edicta dictatoris MMDCCLII||Contains 12 various edicta by Dictator Flavius Vedius Germanicus in the year 2752 auc.||L. Equitio Dec. Iunio cos. ‡ MMDCCLII a.u.c.||Expired|
Edicts of Special Commissioners
- Edicts of the Praefectus rei publicae administrandae, Officium Administrationis Publicae
- Edicts of the Curator rei informaticae, Officum Rei Informaticae
- Edicts of other special commissioners and exceptional appointments:
|Title||Description||Date Originally Enacted||Status||Ongoing Legislative Effects||Authorized Under||General Praetores Commentary|
|Edict of proconsul with consular power on voting officers
(Forum Romanum #97313)
|Edict by Sex. Lucilius Tutor consulari imperio (special proconsul with full consular power) that appoints custos and diribitor for voting.||a.d. IX Kal. Sep. ‡ Q. Arrio (III) A. Tullia cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXIV a.u.c.||Lapsed||Nil||Senatus consultum ultimum de transitionis rebus ordinandis|
Edicta of Provincial Governors
A governor's edicta are often recorded in a provincial tabularium, or in some cases listed in the praetorium as provincial legislation.
- Provincia Italia - Praetorium
- Provincia America Cismississippiana - Tabularium
- Provincia America Hispanic - Praetorium
- Provincia America Noveboracensis et Mediatlantica - Praetorium
- Provincia America Transmississippiana - No edicta recorded.
- Provincia Australia - Praetorium
- Provincia Brasilia - Tabularium
- Provincia Britannia - Tabularium
- Provincia California - No edicta recorded.
- Provincia Canada - No edicta recorded.
- Provincia Dacia - Tabularium
- Provincia Gallia - No edicta recorded.
- Provincia Germania - Praetorium
- Provincia Hispania - Tabularium
- Provincia Lacus Magni - Praetorium
- Provincia Marcomannia - Praetorium
- Provincia Nova Britannia - Tabularium
- Provincia Nova Hispania - Tabularium
- Provincia Pannonia - Praetorium
- Provincia Sarmatia - Tabularium
- Provincia Thule - Praetorium
- Provincia Thracia - No edicta recorded.
Edicta of the Magistratus Ordinarii
The magistratus ordinarii are defined in IV.A. of the constitution. According to the Lex Arminia de ratione edictorum the edicts of these standard magistrates only last as long as their term in office.
- The edicta of the magistratus ordinarii are listed by year below:
- Edicta MMDCCLXXV - Edicts of Sex. Lucilio (II) A. Tullia (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXV a.u.c. (25 ANRC, 2775 AUC, 2022 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXXIV - Edicts of Q. Arrio (III) A. Tullia cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXIV a.u.c. (24 ANRC, 2774 AUC, 2021 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXXIII - Edicts of Q. Arrio (II) T. Domitio (III) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXIII a.u.c. (23 ANRC, 2773 AUC, 2020 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXXII - Edicts of Q. Arrio P. Annaeo cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXII a.u.c. (22 ANRC, 2772 AUC, 2019 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXXI - Edicts of C. Claudio T. Domitio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXI a.u.c. (21 ANRC, 2771 AUC, 2018 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXX - Edicts of Sex. Lucilio C. Claudio P. Annaeo Q. Catulo tr. mil. cos. pot. ‡ MMDCCLXX a.u.c. (20 ANRC, 2770 AUC, 2017 CE)
- Edicta MMDCCLXIX - Edicts of Cn. Lentulo T. Domitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXIX a.u.c. (19 ANRC, 2769 AUC, 2016 CE)
Edicta Awaiting Filing - Source (Date) Required
Ex hóc, scribas C. Claudium Quadratum ad censum perficiendum Cn. Cornelium Lentulum ad haec aliaque facienda denuo et ilico creo. Nullum jus jurandum posco.
By this edict, I reappoint C. Claudius Quadratus as scriba to complete the census and Cn. Cornelius Lentulus to assist with that and other matters. No oath is required.
EDICTUM CONSULARE DE COMITIIS CENTURIATIS
I. As Section VI.B. of the lex Cornelia Domitia de re publica constituenda, modified by the SENATUS CONSULTUM ULTIMUM DE RE PUBLICA ADMINISTRANDA, enacted Prid. Kal. Ian. Sex. Lucilio C. Claudio P. Annaeo Q. Catulo tr. mil. cos. pot. stipulates, the consuls can issue special temporary rules for the holding of Comitia, which shall differ from the procedure described by the laws of Nova Roma only in those points where it is necessitated by the circumstances of the crisis, hereby we are issuing the following temporary rules for the Comitia Centuriata:
II. The process, methods, rules and time frames of the Comitia Centuriata held by praetor M. Aurelius Cotta Iovius and the rules of the holding of the Comitia Centuriata shall be those defined by the praetor M. Cotta, subject to his colleagues’ and the consules' intercessio and tribunician intercessio.
C. Claudius and T. Domitius CONSULES
EDICTUM ÆDILICIUM DE CREATIONE SCRIBARUM
I hereby appoint Cn.Vitius Canicus as Scriba Ædilicius and Cn. Cornelius Lentulus as Scriba Ædilicius Princeps. These appointmens are effective immediately and no oath is required from either civis.
Optime valete omnes,
P. Ann. Con. Placidus
Ædilis Curulis Novæ Romæ
Pages in category "Edicta (Nova Roma)"
The following 61 pages are in this category, out of 61 total.