Praetor (Nova Roma)
Home| Latíné | Deutsch | Español | Français | Italiano | Magyar | Português | Română | Русский | English
Praefectus rei publicae administrandae
Curator rei informaticae
Classification of magistracies
The praetor is the second highest executive magistrate and vice-president of the Nova Roman Republic (Nova Roma, Inc.). The praetores are considered as lower colleagues and deputies for the consules. There are two praetores in Nova Roma and their principal duty is to fill a secondary leadership role in the government, to oversee and to administer the judicial system of Nova Roma (the conflict resolution system within the organization), to carry our special tasks, be in charge of assigned projects and to represent the citizens who are not part of any province of Nova Roma.
The eligibility requirements for praetor are set by the lex Tullia annalis: only those assidui can be candidates who are at least 30 years old, and have previously held the quaestorship combined with aediliship, or with the tribuneship of the plebs, or with the vigintisexviratus. The praetors enter office on Kal. Ian. ‡ (1 January) each year.
The current praetors of the year C. Cornelio Q. Arrio (IV) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXVI a.u.c. are:
Duties and powers of the praetores
The Constitution of Nova Roma says about the praetores:
- 3. Praetor. Two praetors shall be elected by the Comitia Centuriata to serve a term lasting one year. They shall have the following honors, powers, and obligations:
- a. To hold the lesser regia potestas et imperium and the auspicia maiora, and to exercise, even when the use of imperium is restricted, full iurisdictio, the ius coercitionis, the ius intercessionis, the ius edicendi, the ius agendi cum populo, the ius agendi cum Senatu, to deputize for the consuls in any of their powers and duties; and to have the honor of being preceded by six lictors; the praetors are responsible for the administration of justice and judicial procedures in Nova Roma which shall be defined and regulated by law;
- b. To issue those edicta necessary to advance the mission and function of Nova Roma and to administer the law;
- c. To call the Senate, the Comitia Centuriata, and the Comitia Tributa to order;:::d. To pronounce intercessio against another praetor or magistrate of lesser authority;
- e. To appoint apparitors and other officers to assist with administrative and other tasks, as they shall see fit.
The praetors are, like in ancient Rome, charged of the organization of the Ludi Apollinares, in the first part of July.
To consult the program of the Ludi Apollinares of the current year, click here : Ludi Apollinares of the year .
- Praetor overview: a comparison of ancient Roman and Nova Roman praetores
List of praetores of Nova Roma
As of Fl. Vedio M. Cassio cos. ‡ MMDCCLI a.u.c., the Praetorship has been held by forty-six individuals.
- Three have held the office twice.
- Twenty-two (48%) went on to become Consul (indicated with 'COS.')
- Twelve (26%) went on to become Censor (indicated with 'CEN.')
- Three held the office after having previously served as Consul.
- Two held the office after having previously served as Censor.
- Five did not complete their terms as Praetor (one became Consul Suffectus, three resigned, one disappeared).
Fl. Vedio M. Cassio cos. ‡ MMDCCLI a.u.c.
- Decius Iunius Palladius (I) (appointed Kal. Mar. ‡) COS. CEN.
- Lucius Equitius Cincinnatus (appointed a.d. IV Non. Mai. ‡) COS.
L. Equitio Dec. Iunio cos. ‡ MMDCCLII a.u.c.
- Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix (resigned a.d. XII Kal. Oct. ‡) COS. CEN.
- Suffectus: Marcus Minucius Audens (elected a.d. XIII Kal. Nov. ‡) COS.
- Marcus Mucius Scaevola Magister
Q. Maximo M. Minucio cos. ‡ MMDCCLIII a.u.c.
Fl. Vedio (II) M. Cassio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLIV a.u.c.
- Quintus Fabius Maximus former COS.
- Caius Flavius Diocletianus CEN.
M. Octavio L. Sulla (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLV a.u.c.
- Pompeia Cornelia Strabo (resigned a.d. III Kal. Nov. ‡) COS.
- Suffecta: Patricia Cassia (appointed prid. Id. Nov. ‡)
- Titus Labienus Fortunatus COS.
K. Buteone T. Labieno cos. ‡ MMDCCLVI a.u.c.
- Gnaeus Salix Astur (elected a.d. XVI Kal. Feb. ‡) COS.
- Decius Iunius Palladius Invictus (II), (elected a.d. XVI Kal. Feb. ‡) former COS. former CEN.
Cn. Salvio Cn. Equitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLVII a.u.c.
- Marcus Arminius Maior
- Gnaeus Octavius Noricus (replaced
Id. Sext. ‡)
- Suffectus: Gaius Popillius Laenas (elected
Id. Sext. ‡) COS. CEN.
Fr. Apulo C. Laenate cos. ‡ MMDCCLVIII a.u.c.
K. Buteone Po. Minucia cos. ‡ MMDCCLIX a.u.c.
L. Arminio Ti. Galerio cos. ‡ MMDCCLX a.u.c.
- Gaius Equitius Cato COS.
- Aula Tullia Scholastica COS. CEN.
M. Moravio T. Iulio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXI a.u.c.
M. Curiatio M. Iulio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXII a.u.c.
- Gnaeus Equitius Marinus former COS. former CEN.
- Publius Memmius Albucius COS. CEN.
P. Memmio K. Buteone (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXIII a.u.c.
- Equestria Iunia Laeca, resigned
- Marca Hortensia Maior (I), resigned
P. Ullerio C. Equitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXIV a.u.c.
Cn. Caesare C. Tullio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXV a.u.c.
L. Sulla (III) cos. sine collega ‡ MMDCCLXVI a.u.c.
- C. Aemilius Crassus COS.
St. Cornelia C. Aemilio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXVII a.u.c.
- P. Annaeus Constantinus Placidus COS. CEN.
- M. Pompeius Caninus COS.
M. Pompeio Sex. Lucilio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXVIII a.u.c.
- Sex. Lucilius Tutor resigned a.d. III Non. Sep. ‡ COS. CEN.
- A. Liburnius Hadrianus
- Suffectus: C. Maria Caeca elected a.d. III Non. Sep. ‡
Cn. Lentulo T. Domitio cos. ‡ MMDCCLXIX a.u.c.
Sex. Lucilio C. Claudio P. Annaeo Q. Catulo tr. mil. cos. pot. ‡ MMDCCLXX a.u.c.
C. Claudio T. Domitio (II) cos. ‡ MMDCCLXXI a.u.c.
- M. Aurelius Cotta Iovius
- Q. Arrius Nauta COS. CEN.